Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chinese Telephones, Tenement, Holiday Band, Jake Lazovick, The Professionalisms

Simply put, this show at Hole in the Sky was fun. I arrived almost an hour and a half late and the show hadn't started. Go figure.

The vocals for The Professionalisms, sounded not only off key, but whiny. The band played out of tune instruments. While they played inside, I hung out on the rooftop and talked with people.

Next, on the rooftop, Jake Lazovick, played several acoustic songs with sincerity . He sings about relaxing in the summertime, missing his ex-girlfriend but not wanting to get back together with her, and wishing school would end. The word "innocence" may be off-putting to some people, but Jake seems sweet and innocent. He also made a joke: "Why do birds fly South for the Winter?" Answer: "Because it's too difficult to walk." Bah-dum-dum. Cute.

I'll skip to Tenement, who played a solid, melodic punk set. They have energy, but also intensity. Their songs are catchy, but still have bite and complexity. I like them for the same reasons I like early Jawbreaker, which, in my opinion, is a huge compliment. Plus, they are friendly people.

Chinese Telephones enthusiastically delivered foot-tapping, head-bobbing music. I bought one of their t-shirts after walking a block to my car to get the money.

The show finished a little after midnight. I stayed awake until almost 2:00 a.m. because I was so wound up.

No comments:

Post a Comment