Monday, June 7, 2010

The Wanky's, LF, Rations, Eunuch at La Casa

On Friday night, I went to a show at La Casa, a church in Mt. Pleasant, DC, that allows groups to rent out some of its rooms. I got there a little late and missed the first two bands. As I was talking with my friend, Sarah Pette, she noticed that Dan, the singer for Lotus Fucker, was stretching. Walking into the room, I felt a wave of heat. I had wondered whether the lack of air conditioning would make the bands more lethargic. Despite the head start on sweating, Dan moved kicking, jumping, and singing to the left and to the right, as well as to the front and to the back of the room. Pat set up a network of peddles and stacked his amps, producing an extra loud, distortion-filled, fast-paced set.



The Wanky's were entertaining. These veteran punks, being in their 40s (?), hail from England. The band contains former members of Extreme Noise Terror and The Varukers. They play the sort of punk that invites people to sing along. Plus, they lack pretension. The singer pogoed at the mike while he sang. After the first song, he rubbed his hands across his shoulders, dramatically mock shivered, and said: "Brrrr. I can hardly handle this cold." I appreciated his sense of humor and attitude. For their final song, The Wanky's handed the mike over to an avid fan who sang, while the band's singer limited himself to his guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment